Monday, December 18, 2006

A-CAROLLING

Off to Ragusa last night to attend a multi-lingual carol service. The approach to old Ragusa, or Ragusa Ibla, softly lit at night, is another sight that literally takes my breath away every time I see it, by the way. Lessons were read and carols sung in Italian, French, German, English, Danish, Dutch, Japanese and Spanish. Everyone took along some food and something to drink so we enjoyed a very jolly get-together afterwards, too. The Spaniards take the prize for sheer exuberance and energy as they were still dancing, shaking their maracas and singing "A Cantar en Navidad" when we left!
There is no tradition of door to door carol singing here.

7 comments:

James Higham said...

Ah, I can almost feel it over here. The old, old ways.

Lee said...

That sounds fantastic...and so enjoyable. We don't have door-to-door carol singing here, either.

Just lots of singing out yesterday when the Aussies regained the Ashes! ;)

Anonymous said...

My goodness, Cambridge is multi-cultural, but I've never heard of anything as exciting as this for a Xmas concert. I love the dancing bit too, but I'm telling you, I would outlast them all.

Liz Hinds said...

Lovely!

I have two carol services tonight - one in the prison and then one at Zac's. It wil be a dash from one to the other.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, Lee. I can imagine the singing over there!
I'm sure you would, cara Ellee!
Hope you enjoy the services, Liz. Look forward to reading about them on your blog.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a lot of fun. I haven't seen Germans out carolling in this area, but they might in other places.

Ballpoint Wren said...

People from our cul-de-sac used to go out and sing carols, but now that the kids have gotten older, they're too embarrassed.

Counters


View My Stats