Saturday, December 09, 2006

CHRISTMAS TIME IN THE CITY


Yesterday was a holiday, the feast of the Immaculate Conception, which most people here regard as the real beginning of the Christmas season, putting out their cribs and decorations ready for that day. So I didn't post, as I thought I'd get mine up too, and spent most of the day having a fight with the Christmas tree lights. Now I find these temperamental at the best of times but in Britain, if you let the last few trail on a carpeted floor as you are hanging the rest of the string round your tree, it isn't usually a disaster; but it is on a tiled floor! Anyway, touch wood, we are "up and lit" now. [Incidentally, does anybody manage, after Christmas, to get their fairy lights back into the tiny boxes or packets they come in these days?]

From the Christmas I spent in America I got the idea of displaying photos of Christmases past as part of my decorations and friends here think it's a nice touch, too. So today, among other photos, I dug out one of the school nativity play I was in when I was about 5. I have never forgotten it, as I had to be a flaming cuckoo! My friend Mary Davies had"done a Violet Elizabeth" and screamed and screamed that she "must be Mary because my name is Mary" so there we all are, with Mary beautifully draped in blue whilst I appear to have a white sheet on. [Not only did I have to be a cuckoo, but for some inexplicable reason I had to be a white cuckoo!] Hmm! Well, seeing as it's Christmas, I'm in Sicily and it's 51 years ago, I'll forgive you, Mary Davies... Whilst putting up cards and these photos, by the way, it struck me that this is a "Blu Tack"-less country. It must be the teacher in me that can't imagine life without "Blu Tack" and I am sad enough to have friends send it from Britain! [It's a putty-like, re-usable sort of adhesive that doesn't leave any marks, for readers who don't know it.]

Above you may behold my Modican Santa. I think he's got to be Sicilian as he's rather bronzed, don't you?

6 comments:

James Higham said...

...that doesn't leave any marks...

Actually, that one's open to debate. I once claimed that too but one lady showed me the little patches on her wall. Anyway, this is just to say that the Blogfocus is up, if you're interested, Sicily girl.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Ciao, James. Ok, I lied! But it leaves less marks than anything you can get here! Always interested in your blog, Russia boy...

Anonymous said...

I do so like the idea of at least waiting until Advent before putting Christmas stuff up. ciao.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely story, I have "hung up" my decorations on my site too, as well as writing about my Christmas wish book list.

WL, I can't believe you lied on your blog, you will always get found out, James is very smart.

Maria said...

Love the Santa. We use the blue stuff here which at this very moment I can't think of the name but we can now also get it in white. All the BEST always. ~M

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Ciao and buona sera, the laughorist. I agree. It makes it all a bit more special.

Counters


View My Stats