Tuesday, December 05, 2006

AN ISLAND IN THE SUN



I gradually lost the will to live in the post office this morning as I waited 30 minutes to be able to post my Christmas cards and packets to non-Italian destinations. Yet again, there was only one prodotti postali and one bancoposta counter open, and this at the beginning of the month when the queue for the latter service snakes out of the door as people come to collect their pensions. Yet again, also, the whole slow process nearly ground to a complete halt because of the number of customers interrupting the clerks to ask for information or forms. This just makes me want to scream. You may imagine how the clerk and the people behind me absolutely loved me when I got to the counter with my post for the USA, Australia, New Zealand, France and 35 packages for Britain!
Then I walked back up and felt my spirits lift as I reached the traffic island and stopped to gaze at the palm trees in the sun. A city woman through and through, I feel a strange affinity for traffic islands - the sort where you can sit, listen to the roar of the vehicles around you and imagine where everyone is going. That is far more likely to restore my good humour than any amount of countryside and birdsong! And the colours and sheer exuberance of the produce on sale from the lorry opposite made my heart sing.
It's a pity that this oasis in the mad Italian traffic is spoiled by the graffiti on the seats. These are appearing everywhere of late, whereas there were hardly any to be seen when I first came here 14 years ago. Teenagers who buy cans of spray paint here now have to provide the shopkeepers with their names and addresses.

10 comments:

Liz Hinds said...

On a Good Read on Radio 4 this afternoon, Naples '44 by Norman Lewis was recommended. Have you read it? It sounded very good.

James Higham said...

Your posts are always entertaining and too often mouth-watering. Tantalus knew what I mean. As for this:

Yet again, also, the whole slow process nearly ground to a complete halt because of the number of customers interrupting the clerks to ask for information or forms.

Ah - we have two methods of tackling this over here. One is to boldly sneak to the front of the queue and use a charm offensive on all around, deprecating gestures etc. Often works. The other method is to go into Dr. Who mode - walk in, join the queue and ignore absolutely everything, shut all the worry out, think of something nice, until one day you suddenly find yourself at the window.

Anonymous said...

Can you see our teenagers handing over their names and addresses to shopkeepers when buying spray paint? Would the shopkeepers want to do that in this country?

You do have a lovely, clear blue sky today. I hope to write my cards next week.

astrologymemphis.blogspot.com said...

What a beautiful country. I had no idea there were palm trees in Italy. I think I'll be learning much from you.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, Liz. Thanks for that. I will try to catch the programme via the "listen again" option on the internet. I haven't read "Naples '44" but will look out for it. I have read N Lewis's "In Sicily", which is excellent.
Ciao, Ellee. No, I suppose British teenagers would just tell the shopkeeper where to go. I suppose in a town like this where everybody seems to know everybody else it is easier for the shopkeepers. It's been hot today and the skies have been even clearer but it's time to put the heating on now.

Anonymous said...

WL, a quick visit before I move the computer. This morning I made an early trip to the post office and mailed our five cards. Next year it may be down to two. Enjoy the wather.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, Steve. Well, my list this year started off by being shorter. Then it somehow got longer again!

Ballpoint Wren said...

Graffiti is everywhere. Here in our town, we have a graffiti hotline we can call when we see it. It's always gone within 36 hours of my call.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, Bonnie. A graffiti hotline seems a good idea.

Maria said...

I am just sitting down to finally write my cards... Do they do a Christmas tree as well in Sicily? I love Christmas even though there is so much to be done.. but I love the smells pine trees... :) hot chocolate with candy canes.. :) and the colors the rich red and greens.. not the post office though! *LOL* ~M

Counters


View My Stats