Thursday, January 25, 2007

ON THE NELSON TRAIL - 4




Blogger wouldn't let me upload the rest of the photos last night so here we go again!

The first photo should answer Liz's question about the floor: the sectioned off tiles are the remains of the flooring that the Nelson family had put in [for the castle had been badly damaged in an earthquake in 1693 and was in a state of neglect when they arrived] while the rest of the floor has been restored. I think they have done a pretty good job. The second photo shows the castle's gallery. Among items displayed here is a letter from Queen Elizabeth II inviting members of the family to her coronation. The third picture shows the courtyard, with a Celtic cross erected in memory of Nelson in 1888.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

More super pictures. It must cost a lot to maintain the place. I wonder if the fee they charge is enough.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

The entrance fee is just 3 euros, Steve - not a lot! I don't know whether they get help from the State or not to maintain it.

Liz Hinds said...

They have doen a wonderful job on the flooring.

A Celtic cross and an invite from HM? What a strange and fascinating mixture of objects in this place.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, Liz. Yes, it's an incredible mix, isn't it? - I was gobsmacked when the first thing I saw was the Celtic cross! - Felt like I was "home", in a way.

Counters


View My Stats