Friday, February 02, 2007

FATTI DI CRONACA - 3

Some news snippets:

A CONTRITE CAVALIERE
Hat tip to Ellee who saw the story before I did: Berlusconi, or Il Cavaliere, as he is known in Italy, has had to apologise,via the press, to his wife for his outrageous and very public flirting with other women. I have now read the whole flowery, Italian text and you have to hand it to him for doing nothing by halves! According to polls published today, 60.4% of Italians think the couple will divorce and 53% believe Mrs B was wrong to demand a public apology. What do I think? For that lifestyle, I'd put up with a husband's flirtations and even occasional wanderings! Actually, call me a cynic but I wouldn't be surprised if the couple had dreamt up the whole thing together, for publicity.

MESSINA DEMONSTRATION
Parts of Messina were brought to a standstill early yesterday morning by a demonstration, this time by commuters, against cutbacks in ferry services to and from the Italian mainland since the Messina collision two weeks ago. The unions are still demanding better safety measures in the port and on ferries.
A CONSEQUENCE OF WAR
[ This may be of particular interest to Gary.] A little -known consequence of the deployment of the US military on so many war fronts these days is the downturn in the economy of towns such as Motta Sant'Anastasia in the Etna area. These towns depend on trade from American military personnel stationed at the Sigonella base: whole businesses have been built up with this in mind, providing various services and goods made to order. Most people cannot remember a time when the Americans were not there and some of the latter have married and settled in Sicily. There must be economies similarly affected in many parts of the world but it is not something that we often think about.
WHAT CAN A GIRL DO?
My last piece of news for this post is a personal one: I still have some unsightly marks on my forehead and neck from Tuesday's little procedure so, being a vain woman, have not wanted to go out much. There's only one thing a girl can do when she feels this way and that's make for the hairdresser's! So I am now a redder blonde, which has perked me up no end.
I seem to have caused much hilarity over at Raffaele's this morning by sitting down on the floor to chat, in English, to a Peke dog one woman always brings with her. The beautiful creature was virtually nodding at me throughout the conversation and I looked up to find myself surrounded by giggling staff and clients. "Of course he understands everything I'm saying in English", I informed them , which caused more laughter, though I don't know why as it was perfectly true, it all being a matter of tone of voice with dogs. I don't often take Simi over there as I usually have to visit a supermarket afterwards but it's nice to know that I can!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welshcakes, This Berlusconi business shows who wears the trousers. The fact his wife knew he was more than a bit of a rogue when she married him and had a roving eye, that was probably part of his appeal. I think he was wrong to apologise that way, he should have responded by saying he will resolve his difficulties in private, that it is nobody else's business.

Do keep us posted on the coverage in your press, do you ever read Italian news updates on the web, btw?

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

So pleased you are feeling better, sounds like your waiting rooms are interesting!!!!

Do you have an email address, if so can we exchange addresses.

CityUnslicker said...

Re the troop stations, I fear the same is happening in UK towns such as Catterick, with so many of our forces being on constant tour.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Ciao, Ellee. I agree with you but that's not Silvio's style! I think his wife knew perfectly well what she was doing and what she was getting! Yes, I read Ital and Brit news on the net - cheaper than buying the papers! When I go to my fav bar, though, they know me so well now that they put the paper on the table before I sit down!
Anne, I would love to be in touch with you by email but I don't want to publicise my personal email address here. Yours isn't on your blog either, so how shall we do this? By the way, I am gpoing to put your blog on my roll but I hate mucking around with the template - it scares me - so will probably do it tomorrow or Sunday. Auguri.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

c/u, thanks. I hadn't thought of Catterick. It must be happening in so many places.

Anonymous said...

I do like your news snippets. Better then a newspaper or seeing it on TV.

James Higham said...

Welshcakes, check my post on it and Ellee's reply.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Steve, you are always so kind.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

James, like your post and the pic you have there, and Ellee's reply of course! Tell me, when you use pics like that, is there any copyright issue? - I am too scared to use any!

Counters


View My Stats