Saturday, June 23, 2007

NO STOPPING ME NOW!


For a long time I've wanted an Italian recipe book devoted to the preparation of liqueurs and in Modica Bassa on Thursday, I found this one. Umm - I think I'll start by preparing a pineapple ratafia with vanilla and then make an apricot liqueur. And there's an elisir di giovinezza - elisir of youth - which I've just got to try! The ingredients are: a branch of flowering absinth; bitter orange peel; gentian root; pure alcohol; rhubarb; sugar; cascarilla bark. I'll let you know when I get hold of all of these!


Back in Britain, I used to make damson gin during the brief appearance of damsons in September. When my Mum was alive, we used to make it together and our tradition was to open the bottles on New Year's Eve. I've never seen damsons here but am busy creating new traditions for my Sicilian life.

12 comments:

Crushed said...

Ah absinthe.

Dangerous stuff that, Welshcakes.
But nice.

It sounds like you have quite some bootlegging experience, here...

ta2urnfs said...

Interesting blog.
have a great day.

jmb said...

Well that's an interesting book. All the secrets too! Can you just buy ethyl alcohol there to make this stuff? I remember when all the Europeans came to Australia in the fifties and they wanted to buy alcohol to make their liqueurs. But you couldn't buy it there, only methylated spirits. Here you can only buy isopropyl alcohol.
regards
jmb

marymaryquitecontrary said...

Just take it easy welchcakes;these liqueurs might taste too nice.

Lee said...

Now, that's more like it, Welsh!!!

Lee said...

jmb...if you personally are friends with a chemist you can get it. A few years ago a chemist friend of mine gave me a litre...and foolishly I left it behind in one of my many moves! Silly me!

Whispering Walls said...

Can you get hold of wormwood in Sicily? Maybe you could grow it on your terrace and be inspired to write epic poetry...

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, Crushed. I'm a woman of many parts, you know! Thanks you, ta2urnfs. Nice to meet you and I'll be over to visit your blog soon. Jmb, yes, ethyl alcohol,is freely on sale in the supermarkets. Marymary, I promise I'll be good! Lee, I wish you could come over and have a glass [or several] with me! Oh, fancy leaving the stuff behind! That's the kind of thing I'd do! WW, there's an idea!

Lee said...

I can guarantee we'd have more than "a glass", Welsh! ;)

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

I rather think we would, Lee!

Maria said...

Absinthe, can you get that in Italy? It's illegal here in the states! Hmm...

The recipie does sound interesting though! Can't wait to find out!

M

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

I haven't tried yet, M. I'll let you know!

Counters


View My Stats