Thursday, June 07, 2007

VOICES FROM THE PAST - 2

Loredana rang me this morning. Now a teacher herself and a mother, she lives in the north of Italy and we first met when she was a student who participated in an earlier Cardiff - Italy school exchange that I organised. When I brought the Cardiff party over to her little town, she introduced me to her family and we have all kept in touch since 1980. Loredana reads my blog and, as I'd mentioned inspiration yesterday, she had called to remind me that it was I who inspired her to become a teacher. "And you're still speaking to me?!" I exclaimed.
Thinking back to that exchange reminds me of a student called Matthew, who came from what we would now call a dysfunctional family. He and his father were known for fighting with each other in the street and the father was always in school complaining about someone or something. Yet he once told the Head that I was the only member of staff Matthew respected, because he couldn't shock me! Well, Matthew got interested in Italian and the exchange programmes I was trying to set up, so when I decided to have an Italian supper in school to sell the idea to parents, I made Matthew the maître d'hôtel and I certainly didn't regret it: he appeared in a very smart tuxedo, greeted everyone and showed them to their seats, then ensured that no one lacked for anything all evening. I bumped into him in Cardiff many years later: he was with an attractive, dark-haired woman and was followed by a troupe of 4 little boys so like him that they had to be his sons; Matthew was delighted to introduce me to his wife and to tell me he had fallen for an Italian girl. I like to think I had a hand in that, too.

11 comments:

Liz Hinds said...

Another wonderful tale! What a loss you are to teaching in this country.

But how lovely to know you have had such an impact for good in the lives of others.

Crushed said...

I'm guessing that there was a faint maternal pride here, at him finding happiness.

These are the things that make us realise that we have had some effect for the good on the world.

A warm fuzzy feeling within.

Anonymous said...

Good for you, but I wouldn't want the responsiblity of thinking I helped someone to get married. What would I think if they got divorced.

Shani said...

What a beautiful memory...

hugs
Shani

Janejill said...

It must feel good to realise the impact you made; a lovely story ,Welshcakes

jmb said...

Another good teacher story. You know when you expect the best they often deliver.
Loredana, I haven't come across that name often. Loredana Berte springs to mind. My favourite Italian female name is Gaia. A good strong name. Very patrician.
Just rambling on! Sorry
regards
jmb

marymaryquitecontrary said...

welshcakes l; Have you read "The people you meet in Heaven" Mitch Albom. It makes you think about the effect you have on peoples lives;even those you have not met. You have been a great inspiration to many.

Chris at 'Chrissie's Kitchen' said...

WCLC - I see you've been nomonated for Blogger award! Well done.
Hugs, Lizzie

Ellee Seymour said...

What a lovely story, I always think children flourish when yougive them responsibility.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Oh, thank you, Liz. Well, I hope I did! You're right, Crushed - that and pleased because someone who came from a rather inward-looking background had "opened out" sufficiently to make a life with someone from another culture. Steve, you've a good point there! Thanks, Shani x It helps, janejill because there were a lot of negative moments too. Jmb, you never ramble! Gaia's nice. Marymary, no, I haven't but it sounds right up my street. I will put it on my list. Thank you. Hi, Ellee. Yes, children need to feel they are trusted.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Lizzie, thanks for your good wishes.

Counters


View My Stats