Tuesday, November 20, 2007

SICILIAN GOODY BAG



Kind friends invited me to lunch on Sunday and I thought I'd give them a rest from me whipping out my camera every time they placed a dish on the table - though they would never stop me photographing the produce of their kitchen. Instead, here are the goodies they insisted I bring back with me: lemons and a grapefruit from their trees - if a lemon straight from a tree is a wondrous thing, a grapefruit thus offered is sublime, as there is hardly any bitter taste at all; loti [kaki in dialect], again from the garden; eaten ripe, these do not make your mouth go dry; and the beautiful, crunchy almond biscuits which my friends make from freshly gathered and ground almonds. Taste sensations like these remind me why I came to Sicily!

14 comments:

Liz Hinds said...

Pomegranates? The loti? They look like them.

The grapefruit and lemons look wonderful. I don't like almond but I'm sure home-made crunchy biccies will be good.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, Liz. No, they are sharon fruit.

Crushed said...

Hare those loti, the lotus fruit?

As in, the thing that made thm drowsy in the Odyssey?

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, Crushed. Yes.

Leslie: said...

Mmmmm....lucky you! I don't think I've ever had a lemon or grapefruit straight off the tree. However, I did have an orange right from the tree once and what a difference in flavour!

jmb said...

Nowhere better in the world than Sicily for the citrus fruits. The climate is just right.

Almond cookies sound great although I'm more of a hazelnut fan myself for cookies. But as to the nut itself, almonds every time.

I don't know the loti fruit.

Whispering Walls said...

I was amazed to see oranges on a tree in Florence last weekend. Are they out there still?

James Higham said...

That camera of yours gets a real workout, WCL.bjfe

Sharon said...

Do you get comments about your camera? Folks like it when I take pictures.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, Leslie. Oranges straight from the tree taste great too. We have vanilla -flavoured ones during this season - they are wonderful. hi, jmb. Another reason for you to come back to Sicily, then! It sure does, James. Hi, Sharon. No, no one has ever objected.

Gledwood said...

do you get lime trees as well?

i like lemons but i REALLY like limes... perhaps bc I'm such a raving limey haha!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Ciao, Gleds. No, limes are imported. Strange, that.. I like "raving limey"!

Ellee Seymour said...

What a lovely goodie bag, they do it because you are very special to them.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Thanks, Ellee - you have cheered me up.

Counters


View My Stats