Tuesday, December 04, 2007

IN WHICH I LOSE MY PAZIENZA - AND REGAIN IT




My local supermarket closes at 1.30 pm and reopens at 4.30 pm, but most other shops in the via Sacro Cuore close for the afternoon at 1pm on the dot. So I'm afraid I lost my hard-won pazienza when, finding myself in the supermarket at 12.40 pm., and still with an errand to do in the computer shop, the man who is supposed to weigh your fruit and vegetables was nowhere to be seen [they are weighed at that counter here, not at the checkout as in Britain]. I had expected this to be a fast shop, as I'd only gone in for some washing up liquid, a lettuce and a packet of basil [which is usually sold in irritating plastic bags here]. I eventually espied the gentleman down at the deli counter, where he had taken some water melon he had sliced to be weighed on their larger scale and wrapped. He wasn't preparing it for a waiting customer; he was just going to put it out on display. There were several of us standing around by now and he certainly saw us; couldn't he have left the anguria for a minute? I'm ashamed to say that I got so impatient that I started waving my bag of basil at him and stamping my feet, reader. Then the woman behind me put her selected goods down on the counter next to the scales, with the result that when the elusive assistant did come back he picked these up first! By then I was doing a Victor Meldrew and one look at my face was enough to make "Mr Anguria" slap a ticket on the basil quickly! Why, then, if the basil packs all cost the same, are they not already priced? - That will remain one of the mysteries of Sicilian life.


I am quite hopeless with houseplants as I always under or over-water them, but it's Christmas and I do love poinsettias. I bought this one from a lorry on the way back: "Is it very heavy?" I asked the stallholder. "Well, yes, but I'll carry it to your house for you", he replied, and so he did. He does see me passing with Simi every day, so knew that I live near, though not the exact street, and I appreciated his kindness. I also got the second plant, whatever it may be, free. My faith in Sicilian human nature was restored by the time I got home!


18 comments:

Crushed said...

You should save these up and write your own sitcom!!!

We have pure comedy with the water- that's an episode in it's own right.

Who would star as Welshcakes though?

Leslie: said...

I can just imagine your frustration and the gall of the other woman to put her things down before yours! Oh well it's a lovely poinsettia and how kind of the seller to carry it home for you.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Thanks, Crushed. Maybe I will! I would love to video a water delivery but I got enough funny looks when I photographed one! Now, there's a question...
Hi, Leslie. The poinsettia has,as you've guessed, cheered me up and that was nice of him.

marymaryquitecontrary said...

This kind "poinsettia seller," is he unattached? A suitable suitor perhaps? He is earning a living, good. He can carry heavy objects,good. He is generous,(he gave you a freebie) good. He didn't see your Victor Meldrew impression,great. Can you see any problems welchcakes.

marymaryquitecontrary said...

Forgot to mention that the second plant is a Christmas Cacti. It just hasn't got flowers yet.

lisata said...

The other plant you have is a Christmas Cactus. They are supposed to bloom at Christmas and sometimes Easter.

Usually the small flowers are red or pink. I don't see any buds on the plant so it's probably too late now for a Christmas blooming.

I had a pink one for about 10 years that bloomed every Christmas, then I moved it when I remodeled and it died.

jmb said...

There, your faith in Sicilians is restored.
I noticed in New York when I was last at my daughters they have some scales where you weigh them yourself and do a self check-out. It seems I recall a similar thing in Biella, for I remember the symbols of the fruit and vegetables at the scale

Claire said...

Oh I do like a happy ending and poinsettias are so full of cheer at this time of year.

Wolfie said...

I can certainly appreciate your impatience in the supermarket, that sort of thing transforms me from a laconic English gent into a blood-axe wielding Saxon within minutes. In my defence I'll add that I cool down again in seconds, my wife finds the transformation endearing and perhaps a little reassuring that I'm not all ice-cool Englishman, fortunately.

I do love a Christmas poinsettia around the home, it fills me with pleasant childhood memories.

Ellee Seymour said...

We all have our Victor Meldrew moment. And I hope you enjoy your poinsetta, I have just bought one for a mother and my neighbour.

James Higham said...

Completely and utterly understand every bit of that. I lived it all.

Gledwood said...

I thought your "pazienza" was that red houseplant at first!!

Gledwood said...

ps did you find out anything about fibres and olive mush? i am quite interested seriously.

i mean about the potential uses of fibres left over from food processing

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, MM. I think his wife, who works with him, might be quite a problem! MM and Lisata, thank you for the info re the plant - I am so ignorant about them. Hi, jmb. They do that in Prague, too. It didn't make the chekout any quicker, though. DD, I am horrified at that thought! I wouldn't manage it at all. Nice picture, btw. I agree, kissa. Hi, Wolfie. I'd like to see you in Saxon mood! I love poinsettias for the same reason. Hi, Ellee. Yes, and the water situation and the vegetable counter bring out mine! How is your Mum?

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, James. Glad I'm not alone in my irritation! Gleds, I'm wondering if it's used to make olive paté. Will find out. No, I didn't lose my poinsettia!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, Gleds. I have the answer: the olives are pressed again to make a poorer quality oil and also they can be used as fuel for certain kinds of stoves.

Chelsea + Shiloh said...

It amazes me Welshcakes, but often in my life, for every rude thoughtless person/situation...there always seems to be someone who restores my faith in all that is good...and its often the simple things, like your flower sellers kindness and generosity.... It will be his kindness in the long run that will stay with you, long after the shopkeeper & the woman fade from your memory...

good luck with the pointsettia, I have a staggly daggy one that I only ever notice at christmas, and think..damn Ive got to do something with that plant....X

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, Abbey. You are quite right. A small act of kindness can so restore your faith in human beings and make your day.

Counters


View My Stats