Tuesday, January 01, 2008

FINAL FESTA...















.. of this Xmas season, at any rate: a pleasant lunch with Gina and family. As she asked me only last night, I didn't have the ingredients in to make another cake [about which I was secretly rather relieved] so I just took along a bottle of the ever-welcome Asti. We feasted upon: gnocchi pasta with ragù; veal scaloppine in Gina's sauce [the recipe for which I will persuade her to give me one day]; profiteroles from an excellent pasticceria; and lemon gel made by Gina's mother-in-law.



Gina makes me laugh: she is really quite adventurous and dreams of an extended visit to Australia once her sons are married, she is retired and has "soldi e tempo" [money and time]. The trouble is that her husband Carlo is quite content just where he is, thank you very much and has no intention of accompanying her on this trip: he is one of those Sicilians who sees no reason to go anywhere else [and I must admit I can understand his feelings on that] so today Gina was sounding me out to see if I would go with her. Sorry, Gina but I've had enough adventures of my own for now! Besides, I have no interest in going somewhere where they don't "speak foreign"!

12 comments:

Gledwood said...

The 2nd down looks lovely... it's making me really hungry... did you do something special to those peas?

2008 is great. I have decided that already. I can just tell :->

Crushed said...

I don't know, I can see you with one of those hats with corks dangling around it, riding a camel towards Uluru.

I suppose Aus wouldn't be of interest to youon culinary grounds, however :)

lady macleod said...

Never say never!

jmb said...

Another lovely surprise for you and the food looks delicious.

Like Gleds I thought those peas looked very big and tasty. Definitely not mushy peas.

Happy New Year again Welshcakes, we'll stop saying that tomorrow for sure.

Leslie: said...

What a lovely festa - again! You have wonderful friend there, but I personally still would love to see Australia.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, Gleds. They just cook them slowly with onions [and sometimes pancetta]. Ciao, Crushed. You're giving me ideas now! Actually, on culinary grounds I would love to visit Oz, because I understand there is a great mix of culinary traditions there [such as Vietmanese, Malay, etc]. I get some of my best cookery ideas from the "Australian Woman's Weekly" cookbooks, which I collect. Ciao, Lady M. You have a point there! Buon anno again, jmb. No, not mushy! Hi, Leslie. Yes, she is a good friend. As I've said above, I'd like to visit Oz for culinary reasons but I like places where I can speak different languages!

Whispering Walls said...

I think your culinary skills would be a great benefit to the Australian continent.

GP said...

Happy New Year!

Ellee Seymour said...

I'd be happy to join her, if she is a friend of yous, I am sure she would be great company. I wish I had offers like this.
Happy New year Welshcakes.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Well, thank you, WW! Auguri di nuovo e grazie, UPM. I'll tell Gina, Ellee. I'm sure you would get on and you can meet her if you come over! Buon anno.

Unknown said...

awwww...welshcakes, abbey, mg and i would love to have you visit us in aus, we could learn another language expecially for you ;) australia is fabulously multicultural now, and the richness and diversity of language, food and culture is wonderful. I have a family of refugees from Sudan who live opposite me and I love humming along to their songs, they sing so much, wish I could learn some of the words though, perhaps will have to o and ask :)

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, kyles. you are so kind. I would love to come if I could meet all of you! Yes, the varied cokkery is something that would really interest me - and the people, of course!

Counters


View My Stats