Wednesday, July 30, 2008

ORANGE SALAD

This is the simplest dish to serve as an antipasto or contorno and my friend Gina first introduced me to it: all you do is take some oranges, peel and cut them in the Sicilian way [a slice off the bottom, a slice off the top, then cut the peel and pith off by directing your knife around the inner part of the orange. Then segment it by cutting downwards.] Put the slices in a bowl and chill. When ready to serve, grind some black pepper over [add salt if you like] and drizzle with olive oil. Gina sometimes adds chopped red onion to her orange salad and some friends like to add olives. I prefer to use just oranges, and if you can mix "orange" oranges and Sicilian blood oranges you will have a very pretty dish indeed to present. This salad can also be served between courses to clear the palate.

I don't have a picture to show you as I just scoffed the lot!

17 comments:

jams o donnell said...

I love blood oranges.. Another salad to try!

CherryPie said...

Scoffed the lot!!! You are beginning to sound like James!!!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, jams. I am very salad-ish these days! Cheerypie - oh, dear!

CherryPie said...

Sorry Welshcakes xx

jmb said...

Oranges are very good with lettuce and red onion and dressing too. I love a citrus salad.
You should be making videos to show us. I need to learn how to upload them.

James Higham said...

Luvverly again it was. Profound comments coming from me, aren't there?

Dragonstar said...

I wouldn't have thought of that. My imagination isn't very adventurous. I eat a lot of oranges "plain" though! I'll have to try it and see.

Indigo-Daisy said...

sounds very refreshing! Will have to give it a go!

Nunyaa said...

Oh LOL at Cherie's first comment ;-)...Make it again and then show us the photo, it would be refreshing :-)

Ellee Seymour said...

I love oranges in a red cabbage salad.

Gledwood said...

antipasto... means "after pasta", does it?

strange: somehow that expression made me think of the antiChrist!!

not the same thing at all, I am well aware...

Gledwood said...

never heard of onions with oranges... most fascinating...

Richard Havers said...

Wonderful!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

That's OK, cherrypie - you made me smile xx Hi, jmb. I don't think my camera can cope with videos - not sure I can , either! Most profound as always, James. Do try it, dragonstar and indigo-daisy! Thanks, nunyaa - I will. Ciao, Ellee. Sounds a great idea. Hi, Gleds. No, it means "before the meal" - pastO instead of pastA. Onions and oranges are good - trust me! Thanks, Richard.

Leslie: said...

You've given me a great idea for my dinner tonight. I'm having fresh shrimp and I think I'll put them with lettuce, red onion, and pepper. Will let you know how it turns out. At least it'll be different. :D

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

Will give that a try WL sounds just right for a summers day...

Thanks Cherrypie, missed that bit until I read your comment!!! :-)

Doesn;t sound like our Teacher does it !!! :-) :-)

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Thanks, Leslie. Your supper idea sounds wonderful. Hi, anne. Glad you like this idea.

Counters


View My Stats