Sunday, September 21, 2008

PULMONARY EMERGENCY - ITALY

I was interested to learn about this possible link between the use of parecetamol and the incidence of childhood asthma yesterday. Yet I had terrible asthma as a child, long before anyone had heard of paracetamol and my mother ended her days feeling guilty and convinced that I had contracted the condition because, like almost everyone in that era, I had been brough up in a "smoky" atmosphere.
Here in Italy, according to a report in La Sicilia today, chest disorders are on the increase and now affect some 10 million people. The fact that Italy has an ageing population is one of the major factors in this rise, with mortality resulting from these illnesses increasing with extreme old age, as one would expect.
Geographic factors come into play, too, with more people in Central Italy and the South suffering from chronic bronchitis and pulmonary emphysema than in the North. The highest figure for this is reached in Umbria. The incidence of bronchial asthma, however, is less in the South and the Italian islands.
The main cause of these illnesses is still thought to be smoking and more people smoke heavily on the Italian islands than on the mainland. The secondary cause is exposure to toxins at work and constantly increasing air pollution is the third reason, with a diet low in fruit and vegetables, along with alcohol abuse, being a contributary factor.
For my part, I must say that my use of asthma-relief inhalers has halved since I have been here and - touch wood - in 3 years I have not once had to take any of the "emergency pills" I have been prescribed for use in the event of a really bad attack.

12 comments:

jmb said...

Certainly childhood asthma is on the increase, doubtful due to paracetamol but more likely to the increase in pollution and environmental factors.

I am always amazed that Europeans/Brits have not decreased their smoking habits in the way the North Americans have. I suppose some have but it has been amazing here over the past twenty years how it has decreased.

Personally we can do little about environmental pollution but we sure can stop smoking and be kind to our lungs.

Good news that your move to the sunnier Mediterranean climes have improved your asthma.

Crushed said...

I used to have Asthma as a child...

Oddly, you'd think I still had it, but I don't.

I didn't know pollution and toxins were such a problem over there- you usually think of Italy as being a fresh air kind of country.

Saretta said...

Well, that's interesting! Since I've lived in southern Italy I have developed chronic bronchitis. It started when I was 40 (not that old!) and I do not smoke (never have), nor abuse alcohol, I eat lots of fruit and vegetables and I'm a regular jogger...go figure! It must be something in the air...

Dragonstar said...

These days it seems there's a link between all sorts of things and all sorts of problems! When it comes to breathing, clean air would seem to me to be the best treatment.

flutterby said...

Asthma attacks must be very frightening especially for a child. So glad to hear Sicily has been good for your breathing.

Whenever I am in Europe I am always shocked by how much Europeans smoke. Here in the U.S. we've gotten very used to smoke-free restaurants and other public places. It is good to be able to breathe freely.

Nunyaa said...

I was once prescribed an inhaler and the end result is , it took my voice away..was awful though the kids didn't think so. I wonder how many people realise how serious asthma can be?

James Higham said...

One excellent reason for remaining there.

jams o donnell said...

Clan air certainly does help. When in Ireland I breathed a whole lot easier than I do in Romford

PinkAcorn said...

Interesting topic, last night we had a patient who took an overdose of paracetamol, otherwise known as Tylenol here in the states. It was because of a tooth ache and ingested about 11000mg over 17 hours. We gave him an infusion of Mucomyst, normally for a toxic overdose we give Mucomyst liquid by mouth and it smells like rotten eggs. It's very toxic to the liver in large doses.
I agree with jmb, there's just more pollution and environmental factors contributing to asthma sufferers.

CherryPie said...

I agree with JMB, the increase in childhood asthma is most likely due to the increased levels of pollution.

Whispering Walls said...

Glad to hear that Sicily is good for the health, WL. Salute!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, jmb. I agree about environmental factors. Here smoking is a no-no in public places and the new laws have been accepted. That's a great help to an asthmatic! Crushed, I think toxins are still a problem in working environments here though I have to say that the problem is being fought well. Saretta, that is interesting, too. must be the air, as you say. If only we could find out exactly what! Agree, dragonstar. Hi, flutterby. Yes, I think proplr here smoke more than even Brots! But the new laws have, as I have said above, largely been respected, so it's not as much of a problem when I eat on a cafe terrace as it was even 3 years ago. Nunyaa. you are right; I think few people understand how bad or even life-threatening asthma can be. Absolutely, James. Agree, jams. Very interesting responsw, pink. I agree, too, that environmental factors have a lot to do with it. My Dad, 50 years ago, worked that out and always took me to breathe clean air in the West of England countryside when I had an asthma attack! Agree, cherrypie. Salute, WW!

Counters


View My Stats