Friday, February 13, 2009

FOODIE FRIDAY

And here are two cheeses that I haven't shown you before:




The first is piacentino ennese, made in and around Enna. It gets its distinctive colour from the locally-grown saffron which is added to it, giving it a slightly spicy taste. The second cheese is a local cacetto, a basic, mild pasta filata cheese. Both of these are very pleasant indeed.

Finally I wanted to show you my new bread / fruit basket, which I bought from a Moroccan street trader in Acireale. It has a handle which converts into a lid - an excellent idea for the summer.

7 comments:

Ellee Seymour said...

What a beautiful bread/fruit basket. I'm sure it won't be long before you will it with gorgeous goodies.

CherryPie said...

That bread/fruit basket looks wonderful!

PS: I haven't forgotten about your email xx

Unknown said...

hey WC... i luurrvveeee cheese and can almost taste it from your lovely description xo my sis in law has one of those baskets i think it's really cool, but she can't remember where she got it from! If i ever find one i'll be snapping it up, what a great idea!

Betty said...

I'm not sure about the saffron in the first cheese, but the second one sounds good. I like mozzarella, so I think I'd enjoy it. (I appreciate the links you put in your posts.) Great idea for a fruit basket. It's one of those "now why didn't I think of that" items.

jmb said...

A very nice find on your visit to Acireale.

That cheese is very yellow. I don't think of saffron as having a spicy taste, but used as a colouring only but then at the price perhaps I don't add enough to get a distinctive taste.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, Ellee and Cherie. Glad you like the basket. Thanks, Cherie - whenever you have time x. [Cherie is trying to help me with a techie problem here.] Hi, Kyles. What a pity your sister can't remember where she got it! It's such a simple idea you wonder why no one thought of it before! Hi, Betty. I think you would enjoy the cacetto. I'm pleased that you like thr links. I wish I'd bought 2 baskets now! Hi, jmb. Sicilians don't go in for spices much, as you know, so a little is a lot to them!

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

I just love the basket, such a clever idea to have the lid like that..:-)

Counters


View My Stats