Friday, June 19, 2009

PLEASE SPARE A THOUGHT FOR "THE LADY" TODAY

"The man stripped of all props except that of his spirit is sounding not only the depths he is capable of plumbing, but also testing the heights that he can scale."
-Aung San Suu Kyi, Letters from Burma.
Aung San Suu Kyi, Burma's pro-democracy leader, is 64 today. She will spend her birthday in detention, on trumped-up charges, in the infamous Insein Prison. The UN has ruled her detention illegal and there are serious concerns for her health.
In my opinion Aung San Suu Kyi's greatest act of courage was her refusal to fly to London to see her husband, Michael Aris, when he was dying of cancer there. She knew that she would not have been allowed back into Burma to fight for her people.
Aung San Suu Kyi believes in freedom so let those of us who have our freedom show that we believe in her on this day: please leave your message of support for Aung San Suu Kyi here .
Thank you.

Image: US Department of State

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you! I have been following Aung San Suu Kyi for many years and have posted about her several times. I did not know that today is her birthday! That requires another Aung San Suu Kyi post.

May The Lady and Burma soon be liberated!

Whispering Walls said...

Imagine spending your birthday in Insane Prison...I wonder what the chap whom swam the lake to see her is thinking now. I believe he's still in Burma.

Unknown said...

Fabulous post on an inspiring lady, here's hoping she is free for her next birthday, thanks for sharing xo

Claire said...

This is one strong lady. I have followed her actions and statements for a long time. She doesn't know that so many people will be thinking of her around the world on this day - her birthday.

Gledwood said...

I'd love to know who that mysterious "American" was and how he got to be in her house for two days without her knowing about it. Is her house extraordinarily big? Did he actually exist? Has anybody interviewed him? HMMMMM!!

ps my blog once got a hit from Myanmar ~ I was over the moon!!

James Higham said...

Oh my goodness - I should have put her in the poll and I forgot. Come over and demand it.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, Nick. Yes, may freedom come soon. Hi, WW and Gleds; Very bizarre, wasn't it? If I had to bet on it I'd say he was put up to it by the regime. Thanks, Kyles. I'll drink to that. Hi, kissa. I hope some of the messages get through somehow. A very great lady. Hi, James. I don't think she wants to be remembered for being sexy, though of course she is an attractive and very feminine woman.

Maria said...

What a great inspiration! A perfect example of "Being the change we want to see in the world"~ As spoken by Ghandi

Thanks too for bringing attention to her. It's not often enough we're reminded about the brave men and women in this world he sacrifice so much for others.

M

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, M and thank you. She is an incredibly courageous lady. I am thinking of her tonight and, of course, of the brave protesters in Iran.

Counters


View My Stats