Wednesday, June 03, 2009

XMAS SALAD


A man for whom I used to make this salad in the UK dubbed it my "Xmas salad" because of the colours. I make it here whenever I can find feta cheese and have just discovered that it goes very well with the olive bread from yesterday. You need:

Some well-flavoured cherry tomatoes, halved
Some cubes of fresh feta
1 green pepper, roughly chopped or sliced into strips
half a red onion, roughly chopped or sliced

The green pepper I used today was so sun-ripened that it was turning purple, which I thought was pretty. I couldn't get a red onion, so used a white one. I also added some fresh marjoram, just because I had some on the balcony. Mix all the above ingredients together in a bowl, cover with clingfilm and chill.

Make a dressing from:
2 tablesp olive oil
finely grated zest and juice of half a lemon
a little dried oregano
fine seasalt and freshly ground black pepper

When you are ready to serve, pour the dressing over the salad and toss lightly.



There you are - "Xmas salad". What recipe could be more appropriate on 3rd June?

13 comments:

Maria said...

I love feta and salads like yours! What could be a better meal? Now the only decision would be what kind of cocktail goes best? Icy beer, white wine spritzer, gin and tonic, vodka with lemon, or go all out with champagne? Hmm... decisions...decisions.. Buon Appetito!

M

CherryPie said...

I can see why he would call it that. Mediterranean veg for me tonight which was quite tasty but did not have such bright colours.

Anonymous said...

Delicious, I am picking salads from the lotty now.....

Ardent said...

That salad would be a perfect lunch with some crusty bread.
:)

Whispering Walls said...

Our office Christmas party is on 20 June because Christmas was cancelled due to the credit crunch!

James Higham said...

fine seasalt

How much? :)

jams o donnell said...

For a moment I thought you were a bit early off the mark for Xmas! It sounds delicious.... as ever!

Sean Jeating said...

Simply done, simply delicious.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, M. I can't decide between the spritzer and the g&t! Hi, Cherie. This is a marvellous season for vegetables here - they take on such bright colours in the sun. Hi, Mutley. What veggies have you got in your lotty? Hi, Ardent.
I think so, too! Hi, WW. Goodness, I didn't know it was that bad! Are you going to have turkey and all the trimmings? Hi, James. Just a little, as is my wont. Hi, jams. No chance! I'm last minute with everything! Glad you like the idea. Many thanks, Sean.

PinkAcorn said...

I've been known to eat salad and spaghetti for breakfast... and your salad sounds and looks delish!

jmb said...

A perfect name for this salad Welshcakes. I don't really like feta so much therefore I substitute mini bocconcini in salads like this.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

I'll have to try that, pink! Hi, jmb. I seem to have gone off mozzarella, except in pizza!

Liz Hinds said...

Hm, I have some feta in the fridge now ...

Counters


View My Stats