Thursday, March 04, 2010

CHICKEN WITH AUBERGINE


I adapted this recipe from a magazine:

4 drumsticks and 4 chicken thighs, bone in
2 aubergines
olive oil
4 slices pancetta, rind removed and cut into small pieces
2 cloves garlic, chopped
about 5 fl oz white wine
a bottle of passata or homemade tomato sauce
1 tablesp 'strattu [tomato paste]
2 tablesp chopped parsley
coarse seasalt, freshly ground black pepper

Cut the aubergines into fairly thick chunks, then fry them in oil in a deep pan or wok. [Don't bother salting them first as they will be more difficult to fry.] Drain them with a slotted spoon and place on kitchen paper on a plate. Now in a clean, wide pan or wok, fry the chopped garlic and pancetta in about 3 tablesp olive oil. Throw in the chicken joints and brown them on all sides. Chuck the wine over them and let it evaporate. Add the passata, 'strattu, aubergines and seasoning. Stir well, cover the pan and leave to simmer for about 50 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add a little water if necessary. Add the parsley and cook for another 10 minutes.

Buon appetito.

6 comments:

Rosaria Williams said...

Yummy! I always thought that Sicilian food included lemons and capers for some reason.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

A lot of it does but not all, lakeviewer.

Claude said...

Thanks for another good recipe. I did it with boned in chicken breasts. I prefer white meat. I just cooked it in less time. It's nice to try something new. When you live alone, sometimes you get lazy and you make do with a sandwich. But this looked so tasty on your post. It gave me the right push. Take care!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, Claudia. I prefer white meat here, but it's hard to get bone-in chicken breasts here. I'm so glad you gave it a try! I certainly know what you mean about cooking when you're on your own, but my mother drummed it into me that I must always make the effort! If only I'd listened to more of her advice....

THE GARDEN CAT COTTAGE said...

I am definiely going to ty this recipe. I love eggplant.
Kathy

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, Kathy. I love aubergines too - so versatile.

Counters


View My Stats