Saturday, March 27, 2010

QUIZ: SICILIAN PROVERBS - 15

A proverbs quiz for Friday night and these are all about old age, a subject much on my mind lately.  Just match the proverbs 1 - 6 with their meanings a - f:

1.  A li vecchi cci màancanu li forzi e ci criscinu li pititti.

2.  Cui vecchiu voli campari, a bon'ura voli accuminzari.

3.  La vecchia 'un voli jocu, voli pani, vinu e focu.

4.  Lu dimoniu sapi assai pirché è vecchio.

5.  'Na vota si gabba la vecchia; appressu vota vi chiuj la porta.

6.  Lignu vecchiu megghiu adduma ma cchiù prestu si consuma.

myspace layouts

a.  The devil knows a lot because he's old.

b.  Old wood burns better but turns to ashes quicker.

c.  The old have less strength and a bigger appetite.

d.  An old lady doesn't want games.  She wants bread, wine and a fire.

e.  You can only swindle an old lady once;  after that she'll close the door in your face.

f.  If you want to live into old age you have to get up early.

Highlight below this line for answers:
1c, 2f, 3d, 4a, 5e, 6b.

2 comments:

TEFL Ninja said...

Well I got 0 right.

I have enough trouble with Pavese. My builder and plumber speak in it to each other and then look at me expectantly like I'm supposed to make a choice based on their conversation.

I have enough trouble making choices when they are in Italian let alone dialect.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, Sarah. Thanks for having a go!

Counters


View My Stats