Monday, March 29, 2010

SILVIO THE SECOND

I'm nursing a sore throat so will leave the Italian regional elections to sort themselves out tonight.  Meanwhile, I thought you might like this article of mine published in Italy Magazine last week:

A 36-year-old metal worker from Ghana has named his son, born in 2005, after Silvio Berlusconi, Adnkronos reports. Anthony Boahene, who has lived in Italy for eight years, says he is not very political but admires the Prime Minister “as a person” and likes his style. He also says that he understands Mr Berlusconi’s tough line on immigration.

The five-year-old boy was brought from Africa to Modena [Emilia-Romagna] by his father in February and Mr Boahene registered the child’s name as Silvio Berlusconi Boahene as a gesture of gratitude for his own “permission to stay” in Italy.

Little Silvio is proud of his name though his teacher, it seems, is less so, having declared that the child will be known simply as “Silvio” at school. The Prime Minister has no greater fan than his namesake, who not only supports Milan but adores Mr Berlusconi’s electoral campaign broadcasts on TV. He even believes that Silvio the politician is really his grandfather, says his father proudly.

Mr Boahene wants his son to study politics to prepare for his eventual life as President of Ghana or Italy. There’s nothing like confidence in the future!

Would you name a child after a politician?

8 comments:

Rosaria Williams said...

We all dream away with naming our children!

Tom Paine said...

I did actually. Ms P the Elder's middle name is Margaret. Mrs P drew the line at adding Hilda though.

Gledwood said...

You should always nurse a sore throat, rather than merely suffer it... hope you feel better soon.

Would I name a child after a politician? Only if I really admired them (the loose cannon type) or just really liked the name.

Some of my favourite politicians' names would be Anthony/Tony (Wedgwood Benn), Ann (Widecombe), Clare (Short), Michael (Portillo)... and so on and so on...

I don't like them on policy so much as personality. I must point out here!!

Whispering Walls said...

Hope you feel better soon! Winston Churchill was tried again, not as successfully. Spencer Perceval sounds romantic but is not auspicious! How about Giuseppe Garibaldi as a heroic name?

LindyLouMac said...

Simple answer No!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

... or our dogs, lakeviewer! Hi, Tom. I should have known! I must say, I can see Mrs P's point of view. Thanks, Gleds. I have a friend who named her cat "Wedgie"! Thanks, WW. Oh, yes, GG is a nice name! Hi, LindyLouMac. I don't think I would, either.

jams o donnell said...

I think the answer mut be no!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, jams. I heard the other day that the rest of the Ghanaian community here is furious with this guy!

Counters


View My Stats