Tuesday, September 13, 2011

I TACKLE THUMBTACKS - A "LET'S BLOG OFF" POST



Every two weeks, the blogosphere comes alive with something called a Blog Off. A Blog Off is an event where bloggers of every stripe weigh in on the same topic on the same day. The topic for this round of the Blog Off is "Thumbtacks".

The subject this week is thumbtacks
which rather stopped me in my tracks
for, being a Brit,
I have to admit
this word my vocabulary lacks.

So to my computer I turned
and soon I surprisingly learned
that over the pond
and even beyond
a drawing pin this name has earned.

Are drawing pins, then, still in use?
[I hope I do not sound obtuse.]
I've some on this board
and have quite a hoard
for Christmas, along with my spruce.



But are they used round and about?
I decided I had to find out.
And down in the squares
whilst selling their wares
the traders could not do without!



To be serious for a moment, it is important to let you know that, for every participating post, Let's Blog Off will make a donation to Jane Devin's kickstarter campaign for her book Elephant Girl: A Human Story.


Below is the full list of participating blogs in this Blog Off:

14 comments:

J. Cleveland Payne said...

I now have confirmation that "drawing pins" is actaully used in the English that they speak in England. That makes me smile :)

Rufus Dogg said...

Bravo! I think you may be the first person ever in the history of language, to pen a poem to the lowly drawing pin (thumbtack)

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Thank you, J. Cleveland Payne. I enjoyed your post, too and yes, that's what we say! Thank you, Rufus Dogg. It's nice to be first at something!

Joseph said...

That's a clever take on the subject. Bravo!

Claude said...

I laughed so much...I love your presentation. You truly immortalised the so useful Thumbtack!

Chamois said...

Drawing pins, thumbtacks, whatever you call it - they are, indeed, an essential part of life. And, after all, it is the essentials that are most often immortalized in poetry. Love the approach!

Beyond Survivor said...

I'm just going to smile knowingly to myself..... :-)

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Thanks, Joseph. I'm glad you had a laugh, Claude. Many thanks, Chamois. Hello, Jan....

Unknown said...

Wonderful!!! I will now have drawing pins etched into my memory!

Riggins Construction said...

Very clever, indeed!

Kitty Freak said...

I had no idea you could be so deep about drawing pins, thumbtacks or whatever you want to call them! Great post!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Todd, Riggins Construction and Control Freak: thank you all very much.

Denese said...

such a clever poem. i love it. i had never heard of drawing pins before... i need to get out more :)

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Thanks, Denese. I did enjoy your privacy post.

Counters


View My Stats