Tuesday, June 05, 2012

WITH A LITTLE HELP FROM....

"Always look up in Sicily" was advice I received from my friend Irma during my very first visit to Sicily almost twenty years ago and indeed, she was right for otherwise I would have missed sights such as this one in Modica:



I was reminded of Irma's words last week in Catania, where, sitting on the terrace of the Caffè Europeo on via Etnea, I happened to look up and saw this sign on the wall:



"If you say a Hail Mary to this picture", it reads, "you will receive an indulgence of 200 days."

At first I couldn't see a picture, only the fresh flowers behind the grille below the sign, but as I looked more closely I realised that there was a Madonna in the background.




I have no idea who painted this picture or how old it is.   I've sat on that terrace many times but hadn't seen the sign before because I was not looking up and had missed the picture because my view had always previously been obscured by other customers sitting at the table immediately in front of it.

Anyway, I said the prayer because I need all the help I can get.

4 comments:

Jenny Woolf said...

Lovely unexpected images. I am a great believer in looking up, in general! So much is there, if we just raise our eyes....

Patricia said...

I think that is good advice for LIFE. Sometimes I spend more time looking down...for cracks in the sidewalk!...missing all the wonderful sights around me. And...we can all use prayers!

James Higham said...

Who determined the 200 days?

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

I agree with you both, Jenny and Patricia. No idea, James.

Counters


View My Stats