Tuesday, September 17, 2013

SALUTE TO THE COSTA

There has been no sadder sight in Italy today than the righted Costa Concordia and I am sure that everyone is thinking of those who were lost, the two passengers who are still missing and their loved ones. At 4 am when completion of the operation was announced, ships' sirens sounded in homage, the people of Giglio understandably breathed a collective sigh of relief and the salvage team were, deservedly, congratulated. It is worth noting that senior salvage master Nick Sloane has said that few countries other than Italy would have been able to put together the resources for such a massive rotation operation.

Tomorrow the search for the two missing passengers begins again and, in tribute to them and all affected by this tragedy, I am posting, for the third time on this blog, the song written by Costa Concordia survivors Antonello Tonna [from Catania] and Justine Pelmalay:

4 comments:

Unknown said...

It is a fine song, Pat. Thank you. Even without understanding Italian, I can feel the sadness. I have kept track of the progress of turning the Costa Concordia rightside up on the BBC. It was quite an operation. I celebrate the success.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hello, Nick. I think it's a very touching song, too. It was, indeed, quite an operation to rotate the ship.

Lee said...

There is something extremely sad and eerie about an abandoned, wrecked ship.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

I agree, Lee.

Counters


View My Stats