Thursday, May 05, 2016

TOWERING COMPETITION

At the beginning of April I wrote that Sambuca di Sicilia in Agrigento Province had, in a TV poll, been named the most beautiful village in Italy, much to the consternation of the inhabitants of Cervo [Liguria], whose beauty I am able to vouch for.

The towers of  San Gimignano


Three weeks after this announcement, however. the Spanish newspaper El País ran its own poll and named San Gimignano in Tuscany as the most beautiful borgo in Italy. I have been to San Gimignano two or three times and it is certainly impressive but I would say it is more majestic than pretty. It also has a torture museum which caused me several sleepless nights after my last visit!

Not having been to Sambuca di Sicilia - a state of affairs I hope to put right in the near future - I couldn't say which of the three villages is the loveliest but the competition, like the Sicilian weather, seems to be hotting up.

Me in San Gimignano in the 1970s - sorry about the fashion!


San Gimignano has been the setting of, or has featured in, several well-known films, notably Tea with Mussolini in 1999:

4 comments:

Laruchka said...

Don't apologise for the fashion. Those photos are priceless :)

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Thanks, Laruchka.

Liz Hinds said...

Very trendy, Ms Eggleton!

How can anyone judge which is prettiest? So many places have their own charm.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

You're right, Liz - impossible to compare.

Counters


View My Stats